Is it needed to reinstall custom kernel every time, after rebuilding?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:57:02 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 23:47, Amirali Shambayati
<amirali.shambayati at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
> re-installation?
> If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
> please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
> thesis :P

I don't know about "dbkg" (i am not even sure such option exist, but I
do know there is "dpkg" and "rpm" as make target).

However, if you wanna be easy, why not do it manually? I mean, copying
the kernel image to /boot (along with creating initrd using mkinitrd
or specificly update-initramfs if you're using Ubuntu or its
derivatives) and edit the boot loader config (most likely you're using
GRUB 2 so the file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Try to copy them into separate directories so you could easily
differentiate them.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa