Is it needed to reinstall custom kernel every time, after rebuilding?

Amirali Shambayati amirali.shambayati at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:47:38 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Last time, I emailed to linux-kernel and kernenewbies mailing-lists
about how to speed up kernel compilation. I received very useful peace
of advice about using "ccache". Now I want to modify and compile a
unique custom kernel several times.
I used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile to compile
custom kernel. This tutorial uses "kpkg" command to build kernel and
it produces two .deb files: "linux-image" and "linux-header" as
result.
So for the first time I followed this tutorial.
For next times, according to to experts' advice, I use "make all" in
custom kernel root directory to rebuild kernel. I am not sure that it
would be enough to use changed kernel after rebooting. As I asked from
some experts, It is also required to install kernel again, but they
were not familiar with "kpkg" and "dbkg",... commands for kernel
installation.
Should I use "dbkg" command after every time I rebuild kernel, for
re-installation?
If anybody is familiar with these method of kernel installation,
please help me. It is very urgent, because it is related to my B.S.
thesis :P

Regards,

--
Amirali Shambayati