about gcc-3.4.6

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:49:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM, esmaeil mirzaee
<esmaeil.debian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Bernd Petrovitsch
> <bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at> wrote:
>> On Fre, 2011-07-29 at 08:01 -0400, esmaeil mirzaee wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Pravin Shedage
>>> <pravinshedage2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>         Hi Samuel,
>>>
>>>         check the FTP link
>>>         ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/gcc/releases/
>>> Actually I have gcc-3.4.6.tar.bz2 for process of installation I did:

Why do you want to use such an old compiler?

>> For the most simplest case - a compiler for the current host+OS -, `make
>> bootstrap` is the way to go.
> could you explain more? I'm new.

I think he means that you should use the standard GCC package that can
be installed using whatever package manager your Linux distribution
has (i.e: apt/yum/yast)

Building a compiler from source code is not an easy task, it has
dependencies with at least a C library, such as glibc. And I don't
know if you need binutils source code also to compile (I have never
compile GCC from scratch).

Why an standard GCC installation doesn't fit your needs? Even if you
need a cross tool-chain for a not so common arch, you have projects
like Ptxdist
 and Crosstool that automates the tool-chain compilation.

Hope it helps,

--
Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69