Need help in understanding sysfs

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Aug 10 15:47:45 EDT 2011

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:31:13PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to understand actually how sysfs works and what is the hierarchy of the
> sysfs directory structure.

Again, that is very vague.

Do you want to know how the internal dentry store is working to create
the virtual filesystem, and how the namespace code handles things
properly when you are walking the tree from userspace?

Or do you just care enough as a driver developer who wants to add a new
file for their driver or device?

Those are two vastly different things, and there's stuff in the middle
as well.

> Specifically I need to know how to add entries in sysfs and how to make them
> work.

For what type of device?

And, as always, what is lacking in the existing documentation that comes
with the kernel that has you confused?

thanks,

greg k-h