kallsyms_lookup_name

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 14:06:06 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:55, Venkatram Tummala <venkatram867 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to use some unexported kernel symbols in my kernel module but in the
> particular kernel version i am based on (2.6.18 - RHEL 5.7),
> kallsyms_lookup_name is not exported and there is no kallsyms_on_each_symbol
> in this kernel. And I can't change the kernel owing to reasons i have no
> control over.
>
> In this scenario, how do i use unexported symbols. Is there any other
> mechanism by which i can lookup the address of a kernel symbol.

I think it's a bit dirty, but how about scanning the kernel ".text"
area and find the start of "code fingerprint" of
kallsyms_on_each_symbol?

What I meant by fingerprint is actually few first bytes of the
function, likely ones that did stack pop and does initial looping.

Or if possible, use debuginfo repository and use the debug symbols to
see where the symbol is located. Then do direct "call".

Just a thought....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa