work_struct not getting scheduled

Pankaj B xpankajbx at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:46:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Michael Blizek <
michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 17:44 Thu 21 Apr     , Pankaj B wrote:
> > INIT_WORK(&event->work, do_handling_work);
> > schedule_work(&event->work);
> > flush_scheduled_work();
> >
> > But the work never gets scheduled. I have put some printks in the
> > do_handling_work() function. Creating workqueue and queueing
> > the work to that workqueue doen't work either. I find this a
> > very strange problem. Does anybody knows about this?
> >
> > FYI: my system has heavy IO load when I schedule the work.
>
> 1) Why call flush_scheduled_work? This function will wait until
> do_handling_work is finished. You could just call do_handling_work
> directly...

do_handling_work is to be called/scheduled from the interrupt context.
Actually I was not calling flush_scheduled_work() initially(it sleeps), I
tried it because
work was not getting scheduled. I can not call do_handling_work() directly
because it sleeps.

> 2) If you have heavy IO load, it might will up the workqueues. It should
> not
> cause total starvation. But if (1) did not solve your problem, try
> reproducing
> it while the system is idle.

Work get scheduled when the system is idle.

Somehow the work is getting scheduled now. I doubt another thread which was
causing
system to become non-responsive for most of the time.

@Dave: I am using linux kernel 2.6.30.2

@Himanshu: Good point. I checked return value of schedule_work(),
I am getting non-zero value which is expected.

Thank you all.