VMA of processes and CPU registers

limp johnkyr83 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:56:57 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I know that each user processes has a number of virtual memory areas (VMA)
which consist its (virtual memory) address space. For example cat
/proc/1426/maps will return the (virtual memory) address space of the
process 1426.

What I don't know for sure is if the actual CPU registers contain the
virtual address of a running process or the "translated" by MMU physical
address.

I think that every access to a VA must be resolved to a corresponding PA so
I guess the CPU registers will deal with the physical addresses rather than
the virtual ones but I wanted to be sure about it.

Thank you all for your help.

John K.