Missing 1GB RAM, where is it?

Andrzej Kardas andrzej-kardas at o2.pl
Thu Apr 14 11:43:05 EDT 2011

On 14.04.2011 17:09, Adrian Cornish wrote:
> Just a thought - lower end graphic cards use system RAM as their own
> dont they
You right, devices like graphic card, ethernet cards etc. are mapped
into memory, what cause some amount RAM is not available for system use.
But as i've wrote before, i'm wondering why addresses in /proc/iomem
(where the map of memory is) are not contiguous. I think, there should
be info about what region of memory is mapped where (BIOS, PCI bus, for
system use etc)*for whole 4GB *(Am I right??) address space (for 32bit
OS). Instead of that, there are small "holes" in addresses and the total
size of this holes (in my case) is about 400MB. So i wonder where that
memory is.