Blocking the access to the device files.

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 02:10:01 EST 2010

Henry is right, nodev is the option for you, it passes down MS_NODEV
flag to kernel which in turn sets MNT_NODEV flag in mount object,
which open system call checks and return -EACCES if device it is a
device node, snippet from linux/fs/namei.c:

case S_IFBLK:
case S_IFCHR:
                if (path->mnt->mnt_flags & MNT_NODEV)
                        return -EACCES;

The case which Greg was mentioning, I think that is solved through
exclusive open call to block device in exclusive mode with
open_bdev_exclusive. This allows only one opener of block device at a
time, i.e. Filesystem is the exclusive opener of block device which
mounting the block device, e.g.

ext2_get_sb() -> get_sb_bdev() -> open_bdev_exclusive();

Rajat