recurring problem, booting git-built to black screen with intel GPU

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 27 08:17:15 EST 2010

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010, Shreyansh Jain wrote:

> What parameters are being passed to the new kernel via Grub? I had
> the same issue (don't remember, but I think it was with one of the
> rc build of 2.6.34) and it could drill it down to a 'vga' parameter
> on the Grub command line. I removed everything (including any
> standard 'quiet' parameter which Ubuntu distro kernel has) and
> managed to boot with some vga value I can't recall (will search and
> post in case I can find it).

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.37-rc7+' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9f59ebbf-6aab-4581-8234-81a092728571
        linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.37-rc7+ root=/dev/mapper/lynx-root ro   quiet splash
        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.37-rc7+
}

  the grub entry for the working 2.6.37-rc5+ kernel is identical other
than the kernel version references, of course.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca