Compiling for two different processors

Alex John alex at archeleus.com
Sun Dec 26 06:44:37 EST 2010

Hello,

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:46:36 +0700
Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 15:16, John Mahoney <jmahoney at waav.com> wrote:
> > Just a heads up. Try not to top post here. See my comment inline.
> >
> > On Dec 8, 2010, at 2:10 AM, Alex John <alex at archeleus.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, I'll compile for P4 then.
> >
> > I was just thinking and realized the core2 may have been based off
> > the p3 arch and the p4 was a dead end, but normally with intel you
> > can compile for the LCD, but I may have lied this time. Also, I
> > believe one is 32bit and the other is 64bit, but a 32 bit kernel
> > will work on both.
>
> I think Core 2 is more like "almost new" arch....I bet it tends to be
> closer to newer Xeon (according to related Kbuild message)

Apparently Core 2 is similar to the Coppermine T in some ways
(such as netburst) but I think that its new as well since it's the
model for quads, i7's etc;

> > If you want to guarantee it works on both I would compile for 32bit
> > i386, but feel free to have some fun. If you do compile with p4
> > post if it worked on the core2, I am sort of interested now.
> >

> I suggest to start with i686 first, then work gradually up

Compiled a generic for i686 and it worked perfectly with both
processors, but then my old gentoo instincts kicked in and I compiled
two different versions.

Cheers
- Alex.