Problem with booting newly compiled kernel

Shreyansh Jain shrey.linux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 23:20:10 EST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Prasad Joshi <prasadjoshi124 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> IMHO, this is fixed for every device during manufacturing.
>>>

>> I believe the UUID is created per partition/file system and are
>> created when creating the file system for a partition.  If anyone even
>> had their drive changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda due to linux
>> changing how they labeled ide drives they will know why people use
>> UUID instead of the device name .  Also, it is not guaranteed that
>> they drives will always come up in the same order between kernel
>> releases(This is my personal opinion).
>>

> I think you are correct, it is assigned when a file system is created.
> It is a tunable parameter which can be chnaged using tune2fs -U
> command.
> A new UUID can be generated using command uuidgen.

Would that mean that there has to be a table stored somewhere which
provides this kind of mapping? In that case, as this table is required
at the boot time, even before the bootable harddisk is detected which
could have stored such a table persitently, is this table written
somewhere in the initramfs?

>> --
>> John

-