KVM - virtualization support

John Mahoney jmahoney at waav.com
Tue Dec 21 13:02:15 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Sengottuvelan S
<sengottuvelan.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to see whether my kernel has KVM support or not. When i execute
> #egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo  , output shows '0'' which means my
> custom kernel does not have capability of KVM.

I think you are misunderstanding the flags in /proc/cpuinfo.  I
believe they represent which features the processor supports, not what
features the kernel supports.  Like Rajat said you may need to enable
the feature in your BIOS, but otherwise you may want to check the
datasheet for the processor.

feel free to paste the output of:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If you do not have this feature you will have to use something such as
VirtualBox, of course there will be a performance penalty.

--
John