custom kernel install - query

Srinivas G. srinivasg at esntechnologies.co.in
Mon Dec 20 23:33:59 EST 2010

> > On Ubuntu 10.10, you need to update /etc/default/grub and then use
> > 'sudo update-grub' to update your configuration.
> >

> I see, thanks for the info on grub2 guys! If the files were copied to
> /boot it sounds like the original poster just needs to update grub. I
> still don't understand how the files got copied tho, I always have to
> dpkg them myself (not done at the make-kpkg stage) and grub is taken
> care of then.

On Ubuntu systems, just follow the following steps for building the new
kernel images.

Note: I build the kernel image as a ROOT, here. So, I did not use the
SUDO.

1) Download the required kernel version TAR ball from the www.kernel.org
and extract it in the /usr/src directory.
2) Change into the newly created directory.
3) Build the kernel with the following set of commands from
/usr/src/linux directory. Here the linux is a link to the newly created
directory.
4) Then run the following commands.
# make mrproper
# make clean
# make menuconfig  - Just exit from the GUI menu by pressing YES.
# make prepare
# make menuconfig	 - Do the modifications, whatever you want.
# make clean
# make bzImage   (capital L letter in bzImage)
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

Then, build the initrd file with the following command from anywhere,
however you need to copy the build initrd file explicitly to the /boot
directory.
# mkinitramfs -o initrd-img-kernel-version kernel-version

Finally, update the grub with the following command from /boot directory
and restart the system. By default it boots into the newly build kernel
image.
# update-grub

For more information on Grub follow the link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G