custom kernel install - query

Dexter Haslem dexter.haslem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 08:52:07 EST 2010

On 12/19/2010 9:25 PM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 08:23, Sengottuvelan S
> <sengottuvelan.s at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am trying to install new custom kernel in my ubundu. I am able to see
>> "vmlinuz-2.6.x.x-custom-velan" and System.map-2.6.x.x-custom-velan in my
>> /boot after
>> #make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom_velan kernel_image
>> kernel_headers
>
> never use make-kpkg by myself, but after reading
> http://man.he.net/man1/make-kpkg, IMO you need to study about
> "kernel_image" target. Seems it will be the one you needed.
>
> NB: even without make-kpkg, now kernel has "make deb-pkg"
> target...seems it will fit your need too.

make-kpg kernel_image kernel_headers will make debs in the folder above
the source tree when done and you will need to go install those manually
(sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.37-rc6-customwhatever.deb) and then you
should be set.

I have noticed that on Ubuntu 10.10 there is no menu.lst for grub and I
have no idea how to update it. Thankfully, using dpkg to install the
kernel updates grub for you. I have been having an issue with grub not
displaying the menu on i386 and booting the first entry, but on x86_64
it's displaying a list. Hope that helps

--
-Dexter Haslem