Installing AX25 on Fedora 17

Jeff Stidham red_dog_113 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 18:46:30 EST 2013

Good day!

I'm a newbie to Linux in general, and Fedora in particular.  I am working to set up a laptop running Fedora 17 as my ham station computer.  But, since I'm a newbie to Linux, I'm stalled at getting AX25 up and running.

Eventually, I want to run RMS Gateway on the computer (among other applications, but that's the start), so I went to the LinuxRMS Yahoo talk group for help.  Charles Schuman, K4GBB, was very helpful with his "HOW TO" page (http://184.4.148.122:800/docs/Myhowto.html), but he works in Debian, and I'm having difficulty in "translating".

I also hit the Fedora forum and found that (if I read things rightly) the kernel-modules-extra RPM contains all of the AX25 tools and applications.  I installed that, and I don't think I messed things up.  But I can't run MAKE; when I look into the directories (assuming that I have them set up correctly), there is no MAKEFILE.  And I can't find mkiss using "lsmod".

And there the "Linux Amateur Radio AX.25 HOWTO" (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x13.html), which provides pretty detailed instructions, but is fairly generic, and I fall back into the "Am I understanding this correctly?" rut.

My questions are:

1.  Is there a "HOW TO" for installing AX25 on Fedora?  Or something that a newbie can understand?  Or.....if what I've found above is what there is, might I get some assistance in working through the steps?

2.  Is there a tutorial or "Dummies" write up on how compiling kernels is supposed to work?  I haven't grasped this (apparently) very basic concept.

3.  Am I missing something else?

If I understand matters correctly, if I can get the AX25 ports configured, I should have clear sailing.  But I am not certain of my path to that point.

Thank you for your time.

73, Jeff Stidham AL1Q